[time-nuts] Re: Video of early Cesium clock development

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Apr 13 13:40:26 UTC 2021

Jerry, thanks for posting that National Co Atomichron video link. And,
Tim, thanks for posting the Smithsonian link.

---

The first *laboratory* cesium standard was made by Louis Essen. Much has
been written about this. My own pilgrimage:

   http://leapsecond.com/museum/essen/

The first *commercial* cesium standard was the Atomichron by the
National Company. A short article here:

https://www.rfcafe.com/references/radio-news/atomichron-worlds-most-accurate-clock-january-1957-radio-television-news.htm

About 50 of these early cesium clocks were made. Several are known to
still exist: one owned by the Smithsonian as Tim noted, one at the NAWCC
museum, and at least two in private hands. Some photos of the one I
found on eBay are here:

   http://leapsecond.com/museum/nc2001/

To get a feel for the size of this beast, here is a comparison of the
Atomichron beam tube with a 5060 / 5061 / 5071 beam tube:

   http://leapsecond.com/museum/nc2001/IMG_6441-600x800.jpg

This photo is also attached (an excuse to test normal vs. digest mode
photo handling). It's also featured here:

   https://insidegnss.com/time-is-relative-position-absolute/

---

If you are old enough to remember the vacuum tube and "atoms for peace"
era you will appreciate the brilliant name choice for "Atomichron". A
detailed Atomichron article by Paul Forman:

https://ieee-uffc.org/about-us/history/uffc-s-history/atomichron/

One interesting anecdote in the ieee article is Jerrold Zacharias and
his "Fallotron", the original concept for what we now know as a Cesium
fountain. And to wrap up this history of atomic clocks posting, here's a
classic, including cesium and H-maser photos, by Norman Ramsey:

   https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/088/jresv88n5p301_A1b.pdf

/tvb