[time-nuts] Replacement of Windows NTP server with Linux

Russ Ramirez russ.ramirez at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 16:56:39 UTC 2021

I have been running a Windows PC with Lady Heather and Meinberg NTP monitor
for 6-7 years now. One very annoying problem with Windows 10 has been the
forced updates and reboots knocking my headless configuration on it's arse.

So I have been experimenting with various Linux options, first with RPi 4
with a compiled version of LH, and now with Ubuntu Server 20.04 using
chrony, gpsd and of course the attached GPS device (NMEA for now, but being
replaced with the Tbolt attached to the Win 10 PC).

All seems to be working fine, the chronyc monitoring looks good and a run
of w32tm /stripchart /computer:<ip> looks good compared to the Win 10 peer.

I'll next be wiring-up PPS for the first time for the next round of tests.

For you X experts out there, is there anything I need to watch out for? TIA

Russ
K0WFS