[time-nuts] 20210423: Introduction and Request for Spirent GSS4200 User Manual / Help

Andrew Kalman aek at pumpkininc.com
Fri Apr 23 20:15:54 UTC 2021

Hello.

This is my first post. I'm an EE who also dabbles in ME and CS. My first
real job was at SRS (Stanford Research Systems), where I designed the
look-and-feel and functionality of the SR560 (still in production, wow!),
albeit with John Willison's help on the cascode front-end aiding this
freshly minted EE. Since then I moved to the aerospace and IoT industries.

I currently use, maintain and upgrade instruments from HP/Agilent, XL
Microwave (I love their frequency counters), SRS, Adret, Spectracom and
others, plus some mid-70's audio as well.

I am ** desperate ** for a User Manual for the Spirent GSS4200 GNSS
simulator (e.g.,
https://www.testequipmentconnection.com/54837/Spirent_GSS4200.php). That
model is somewhat unique, in that it's one of only a very few that Spirent
released that can/will run without an external "control" program. Using the
manual from the GSS6100, I'm able to do a couple of things with the GSS4200
over GPIB, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the
GSS4200 into a mode other than single-channel (it supports 6 channels, and
has a single-channel mode). I suspect there is a command to do this, but I
have not been able to figure it out.

I have spent 8+ hours searching sites and archives, to no avail. Spirent
has done a rather impressive job of locking down their support software and
docs behind a paywall (and I wonder if they even have the docs for the
GSS4200 any more). Any help is appreciated, I'm happy to give back if
someone wants to snag another GSS4200 (around $700 used) and use it as a
simulator.

Thanks,
_______________________________________
Andrew E. Kalman, Ph.D.            aek at pumpkininc.com

President
Pumpkin, Inc.
750 Naples Street
San Francisco, CA 94112  USA
tel: (415) 584-6360
fax: (415) 585-7948
web: http://www.pumpkinspace.com

*The information contained in this email message is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential. Furthermore, this information may be
protected by Federal law relating to confidentiality (42 CFR Part 2)
prohibiting any further disclosure. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
this message to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
review, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is
please notify Pumpkin, Inc. immediately by telephone, email or fax and
return the original message to us via the means by which it was originally
delivered. Thank you.*