[time-nuts] Re: 20210423: Introduction and Request for Spirent GSS4200 User Manual / Help

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Apr 25 13:02:49 UTC 2021

Hi

The thing that I find useful about a GPS simulator is it’s ability to calibrate the
time delay through a GPS based system. In the case of a GPSDO, there may be
things beyond the simple receiver delay that get into the mix. Getting the entire
offset “picture” all at once is nice thing. Yes, that’s a Time Nutty way to look at it…..

So far, I have not seen anybody extending this sort of calibration to the low cost
SDR based devices. Without digging into the specific device, I’m not sure how
well a “generic” calibration would do. Indeed, it might work quite well. Without
actually doing it … no way to tell.

So if anybody knows of the results of such an effort, I suspect it would be of
interest to folks here on the list.

Bob