[time-nuts] Re: Noise floor test of my homemade DMTD

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Apr 26 17:53:17 UTC 2021

Hi

At the top of this paper,

http://www.stable32.com/A%20Small%20DMTD%20System.pdf <http://www.stable32.com/A%20Small%20DMTD%20System.pdf>

there is a plot of what the noise floor of a DMTD *should* look like.
The key feature to note is that each time tau goes up by 10X, the
floor goes down by 10X. Eventually, you will hit some sort of floor
due to thermal issues, so it doesn’t just keep going down forever
and ever. At short tau ( say < 1,000) it *should* follow the 10X rule.

The key in looking at any ADEV information is that the entire plot
is what matters. You can’t just look at one number and move on.
Something is still going on in your setup at short tau that is
degrading the noise floor significantly.

Bob