[time-nuts] Re: Baseline

Anton Strydom agstrydom at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 08:56:01 UTC 2021

Good day Iain

What I found and what has led to the question is that doing tests with
short "baselines" below 5 meters and using a combination of Kinematic and
Moving Base RTK algorithms is that if Z is shorter or longer that X the
system will calculate the "baseline" as X. However when Z and X is equal
the system all of a sudden calculates the "baseline" as the hypotenuse. The
first image is a screen shot of the results obtained from the first rig
where the horizontal distance between the antennas was 820 mm the 3rd image
is a newer rig with antennas deployed at various distances from the Base. I
unfortunately do not have screen shots of that data set. The units all
resolved the triangles perfectly with the "baseline" the horizontal
distance value. The last image is the rig I am presently testing with where
the "baseline" now has become the hypotenuse.

The unit also when it settles down displays the correct measurement as is
the first model I built where it would indicate 820 mm between antenna
centers. The screen grab indicates 819 mm and the unit will jump a
millimeter positive or negative until it settles where it appears to be
"frozen" but responds immediately should you move the antenna.

I do not have access to the latest test equipment etc but what we have
established with this unit is that it is very precise hence the time issue.
I have been to a number of professors at the local universities but have
not been able to find anyone that can assist me in taking this forward

Thank you for your interest

Sincerely

Anton
[image: pitchyawfix]