[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz OSA 5515

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Mon Aug 9 19:38:05 UTC 2021

Fellow time-nuts,

Do any of you by any chance happen to have any documentation or possibly
even the schematic on the OSA 5515?

I have one, at it fails to lock up. The 8655S OCXO heats up nicely from
5,000166 MHz, with a bit of an undershot and stabilizes at about
4,999999140 MHz. That for sure looks like the tell-tale of SC-cut
crystal in that oven. I've been able to persuade it up to 4,999999225 Hz
as closest using the oscillator trimmer, but that's it.

It would be very practical to get it to lock and behave itself, as I get
plenty of 5 MHz and 10 MHz outputs, that suffice to use for a varity of
instruments.

I took the oscillator module out, and was able to trace out input
transformers, power-splitter, mixer and a line of analog which is the
amplification and main loop. Then it has a digital integrator for the
long-term memory it seems. For it's time it seems well built. I could
probably reverse-engineer it fully, but for the moment I would like to
focus on other things. I am happy I discovered in my basic test that it
did not lock up fully to the 5 MHz given.

So, anyway, if someone happen to have the manual & schematic for this
module, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have emptied and cut one (too big) rack and thrown it away. Time to
rebuild the lab and make more of it useful. That's when you find bits
and pieces that may be useful and try to make them all fit into the
remaining rack. Lots of fun. One thing I need to fix is that 5 MHz to 10
MHz conversion, and this box already does that. I used to not be able to
have use for it since I started out with a bunch of 10 MHz GPSDOs, but
as life goes, 5 MHz devices become more and more frequent.

Cheers,
Magnus