[time-nuts] Re: Efratom LPRO-101 Rubidium question....

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 17:15:53 UTC 2021

Dan,  close but no ceegar!  On this one I just needed fair accuracy, at 10
MHz only, and
didn't want to be handling little teeny things and/or laying out an ECB.
Instead I bought
packaged components from Mini Circuits. and cable them up with 0.086"
"hand-flex"
cable I bought from Amazon.  I did all this on Cu-clad board, and soldered
down some
BNC connectors from the junk box.

The MCL components are:

>  1 ea  MSC-2-1W+   0 deg power splitter, used as the LO splitter.
>  1 ea  PSCQ-2-51W+   2-way 90 deg splitter, used as the RF splitter
>  2 ea  SBL-1   Mixer

This was all wired up in the most naive possible configuration, with no
precautions taken to avoid  cross-coupling of harmonic components
between mixers, etc.  The only thing a bit unusual is that I did not
terminate
the IF ports in 50 ohms.  Instead each is terminated to GND with a 510 ohm
resistor, then a series resistor of 10 k, then a shunt capacitor of 0.1 uF,
make an RC lowpass filter of about 160 Hz BW.  Then there is a 51 ohm
resistor to the center pin of the I or Q BNC connector (as the case may be),
which is expected to connect to a Hi-Z load such as an o'scope input.  This
arrangement yields significantly higher signal voltage output below the
compression point.

I usually drive the RF input at about -18 dBm ((IRC) and get I & Q outputs
of
about 60 mV p-p.  I should be driving the LO input at about +10 to +11 dBm,
but it seems to work OK at levels of +8 to +9 dBm, which is all I can
usually
manage to give it.

If I plot I & Q on an X-Y 'scope display through at least one full cycle of
phase
difference, the expected circle is visibly slightly distorted into an
ellipse slanted
at approx 45 deg, but it's not real bad.  I would not use this as-is for
precision
phase measurement, but for my present purposes of tuning an Rb onto GPS it's
more than good enough.

For my precision work at "all" frequencies, I use a Signal Hound SA44B  (USB
Spectrum Analyzer).  It does a nice job in terms of IQ accuracy, but
finding out
*exactly* where it's tuned can be a bitch.

Hope this helps...

Dana