[time-nuts] Re: Query about List and about 10 MHz Distro

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sat Aug 28 17:20:59 UTC 2021

On 8/28/21 9:56 AM, Andy Talbot wrote:
> When I asked about this on another Group a while back, I was told the phase
> noise made it an undesirable solution.
>
> Although I never tried it, I would imaging balanced shielded twisted pair
> would be a better way to go.   Immune from ground loop problems than can
> beset coax distribution and a whole raft of ICs support the medium, from
> RS422 to CAN bus drivers and receivers.
>

> Andy
> www.g4jnt.com

We use fiber to distribute high quality 10 and 100 MHz at JPL. I can
visualize the rack downstairs from my office where the cables terminate,
but I can't for the life of me remember the brand name. It's a 3U card..

DSN does it as well, with obsessive attention to temperature, mechanical
stress, etc.

 From 20 years ago:
https://tmo.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/42-148/148L.pdf - probably overkill

PTS has a Fiber distribution amp: https://www.ptsyst.com/DA1-100-10-FO-B.pdf

There's this, but Im going to bet it's pricey:
https://emcore.com/products/reference-timing/