[time-nuts] Re: Query about List and about 10 MHz Distro

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 14:21:32 UTC 2021

I believe that a significant problem in my case was not leakage through the
shield, but
rather common-mode currents on the cable.  My experiences were with RG-6
style cable,
namely a cable that mostly went around the outside of the house for TV
distribution.
I get all the TV I want with an indoor dipole, and I had had plans of using
that TV
cable for ham purposes.  One thing I have noted is that adding ferrite
common mode
chokes near the ends of the cable did help quite a  bit, just not enough.

Those who are conversant with RF shielding concepts will recognize that
this puts most
of the blame squarely on my own shoulders, for not putting my kluges in
proper enclosures.
But I'm retired, old, shaky, tired, etc, and am not too ambitious any
more.  But I take
some solace in the observation that I'm not the only one; much of the
commercially-built
equipment I own has similar (and quite obvious) flaws.

I worked in the Tektronix spectrum analyzer group some years back, and one
of my side
tasks was taking instruments over to the EMI lab for compliance tests.  On
more than
one occasion those people told me that they were always delighted to test
stuff designed
by our group, because it was designed and built well enough that it almost
always passed
FCC specs on the first round.

Dana