[time-nuts] Re: Clock display on Linux systems?

John Miller john at millerjs.org
Mon Dec 6 19:34:14 UTC 2021

This is something I have explored from time to time in order to find
a good local display option for Pis running as GIS-disciplined NTP
servers. I've done a lot of exploring and fiddling around with different
options but have yet to find a solution that I am fond of, for the
reasons that you describe.

I've had the most luck with TM1638-based boards, which often have eight
7-segment digits, plus LEDs and buttons, and can be had very cheaply.
They are easy to drive and a few different c-based code examples exist
for using them as clock displays on a Pi.

https://github.com/mjoldfield/pi-tm1638

https://mjoldfield.com/atelier/2012/08/pi-tm1638.html

The MAX7219 based units may be better as clocks - eight digits with no
buttons, but I don't have any on hand to test with.

I am very curious to see what suggestions folks come up with. I think
that the key question you need to answer is just how accurate do you
want
this display to be? is +/-10ms acceptable, or does it need to be better?

John