[time-nuts] Fwd: Re: local WWVB ?

Alex Pummer alex at pcscons.com
Sat Dec 11 18:01:40 UTC 2021

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [time-nuts] Re: local WWVB ?
Date: 	Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:57:49 -0800
From: 	Alex Pummer <alex at pcscons.com>
To: 	Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch>

Hi Attila,
actually there are some repeaters, which do not generate their own
carrier, but just receive and amplifying re-radiate the wwvb signal with
different polarization, and since the amplified and radiated signal is
phase coherent with the original it is not a "newly generated" one. Also
if you -- like in many application using that underneath the earth
surface -- you could re-radiate the magnetic component only with a loop,
and since the length
of the loop will be most likely much shorter, than a 1/4 wave length the
current along the loop will be constant. To be able to couple to the
loop you need to set the receiver's ferrite antenna vertically. That
magnetic radiation of the loop will not interfere with the original --
horizontally polarized -- wwvb and outside of the loop the strength of
the field will drop very fast, at 1/3 of the loop's radial outside of
the loop the field strength  is  at list 50dB down.
Thus, the same loop could work with a  Raspberry  Pi transmitter without
causing any interference or get noticed from anybody outside of the loop
Greetings
Alex

https://www.avg.com