[time-nuts] Re: NIST NTP servers way off for anyone else?

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Wed Dec 15 16:30:38 UTC 2021

On 12/15/21 7:53 AM, Magnus Danielson via time-nuts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Expect network routes to be more dispersed these days, as it is needed.
>
> While the wedge plot is a classic for NTP, it may be interesting to
> plot forward and backward path histograms independently.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

I assume someone, somewhere has run some recent tests and maybe
published them. All those plots and behaviors from the early days of NTP
might have significantly changed, due to the plethora of new kinds of
network routes.  Two things strike me as being "very different" from,
say, 10-20 years ago - 20 years ago, most routers were "store and
forward" - the entire packet would be received, and then decoded, and
sent onward.  These days, many routers start sending the packet to the
destination before the entire packet has been received.  To do S&F would
take too much memory with multi Gbps speeds and long packets.  I recall
being at a conference at least 10 years ago where they were talking
about the sophistication required in 10G routers - cut through routing,
adaptive equalization, etc.

The other thing that has changed is a modern diversity of kinds of
networks. 20 years ago, it was basically wired connections of some kind
with concentrators/deconcentrators/switches/routers - all of which have
moderately well defined latency and statistics.

Now, though, there's a lot of over the air (cell phones, WISP, 5,6,7G
nanocells injected surreptitiously - at least my neighbor claims that's
what they're doing).  The latency on a WiFi connection, in a busy
environment - It's 8PM, and all the neighbors are streaming "The Wheel
of Time" (appropriately, for time-nuts) - varies wildly over a short
time. (I will say that WiFi latency improves dramatically during a power
failure in a residential neighborhood when you have backup power, and
your neighbors do not)

Imagine NTP running over Starlink, especially when there are multi hop
crosslinks between satellites.  At 7 km/s orbital velocity, the range is
changing as much as 21 microseconds/second to a "stationary" observer.
Now consider two satellites in different orbital planes. The dynamics of
the latency get quite complex.