[time-nuts] Re: NIST NTP servers way off for anyone else?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Thu Dec 16 12:20:21 UTC 2021

In modern IP/MPLS routing, forward and backward paths is indivudally
routed and becomes re-routed do spread traffic load or overcome loss of
links. Analyzing it makes much more sense in this form. You can draw the
same conclusion from the wedge-plot of TE vs RTT, but it may be less
clear, so shift plot-form to match the problem.

At ITSF 2021 GMV had a presentation where they used NTP based on Chrony
between two RPis which had good GNSS timing on both ends between two FTH
accesses. They showed significant noise and asymmetry. In parallel they
where using a different equipment which was able to chew way into the
noise, and see other variations.

Cheers,
Magnus