[time-nuts] Where do people get the time?

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sat Dec 25 23:27:51 UTC 2021

> The ES-192U/194U uses the AC line-frequency as a time reference

If you have one of those and you just plugged it in or want to check it, where
do you get the time?

How good are cell phones?  I remember comments about them being way off.  But
that was a long time ago.

If I was doing it now, I would probably setup one of the battery powered
clocks that listens to WWVB.  When were they first widely available?

I think I used my watch back in the pre-GPS days when I was taking care of the
time servers on Xerox-PARC's network.  I'm not sure why I thought my watch was
any good.  I remember calling POP-CORN a few times.

-------

In the last day or so, KQED replayed a story about POP-CORN going away.

You Used to Be Able to Call POP-CORN and Get the Time. What Happened to That?
  https://www.kqed.org/news/11853891/you-used-to-be-able-to-call-pop-corn-and-g
et-the-time-what-happened-to-that

Here is a throwback to an earlier era some of you may remember. For decades
there was a phone service in Northern California that would read you the time
and date if you dialed POP-CORN, the letters that represented 767-2676. That
service went dark back in 2007, and Bay Curious listener George wants to know
why.

Though never an official service, Amstein says, "The phone company wanted to
be friendly and helpful. And certainly if the operators weren't too busy and
had time, they would answer all sorts of questions for people," like the
weather and the current, correct time.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.