[time-nuts] Re: Where do people get the time?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Dec 26 02:08:30 UTC 2021

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 17:38:54 -0800
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:

> Did everyone involved in designing the hardware and software
> intend that phone to have precise time?
>
> https://www.jwz.org/blog/2010/07/what-at-t-doesnt-run-ntpd/

JWZ was/is US based. Cellphones developed in the US quite
differently than in Europe. Not only did the US switch to
digital cellphone systems about half a decade after Europe,
there were also multiple different standards by different
carriers competing. Often with very different feature sets
in their protocols. This competition slowed down technological
development in the US quite considerably and lead to many
secondary features, that the rest of the world already enjoyed,
to be left out. You can still feel this today, when you look
at who are the main actors of cellphone standards. Most of these
people are still concentrated in Europe (Nokia, Ericson, etc)
and Japan (NTT, KDDI).

But we are digressing from the time-nutty things...

			Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always