[time-nuts] Re: OCXO Oven design (was: E1938A phase noise improvement)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Dec 26 22:38:29 UTC 2021

On Sun, 26 Dec 2021 15:54:06 -0500
Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> The market is what dictates how fancy an OCXO gets made. Bottom
> line is that there really isn’t that big a market (and willingness to pay
> for super duper TC). If indeed you could do all the fancy stuff and
> still keep the sell price below $10 then who knows ….

I wonder about that. I was told by an ex-manager of
Oscilloquartz, that their biggest problem with the 8607
was that the Option 08 sold too well. So much, that
they had a huge over-supply of the other, lesser
versions of the 8607, to the point that even raising
the price of the Option 08 beyond what a car cost
didn't recover its cost.

Sure, such a high stability oscillator doesn't have a
mass market. And it's definitely not a comodity item.
But there seems to be decent market even if its very
expensive.

			Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always