[time-nuts] Re: Where do people get the time?

Demetrios Matsakis dnmyiasou at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 02:46:44 UTC 2021

This line in Thomas Erb’s email prompts me to point out that the power companies twice tried to eliminate the requirement to keep the Time accurate to UTC (2011 and more recently).  According to the FERC’s summary in 2020 they denied the most recent petition because two people wrote letters as private citizens.  I was one and Jonathan Hardis of NIST was the other. See https://elibrary.ferc.gov/eLibrary/idmws/file_list.asp?accession_num=20200204-3048 <https://elibrary.ferc.gov/eLibrary/idmws/file_list.asp?accession_num=20200204-3048>

I’m not trying to brag - more like I’m worried they try this again in a few years, and perhaps no one will notice to speak out.  These things are announced by the FERC, and I was on a mailing list with a key-word search, although I let it lapse.  Maybe one of you might want to take it up.

Demetrios

P.S.  I am attaching a PTTI paper we wrote, along with Blair Fonville.  The paper itself just described the situation, and did not take a stand.  I don’t think the USNO monitors the situation any more.