[time-nuts] Daft idea with the National Grid

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Mon Feb 8 14:48:20 UTC 2021

On 2/8/21 12:02 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> Lux, Jim writes:
>
>> If you happen to own something like a steel mill running electric
>> furnaces or an aluminum refinery, so you can manipulate the load...
> More scary:  Several independent studies have shown that even relatively
> moderate bot-nets in the hands of somebody who knows the math of grid
> stability would mean no grid stability.

This is a generalized concern with distributed generation (i.e. rooftop
solar panels on houses), because a bug in the controllers for the line
connected inverter could really screw things up. I suppose there's also
concerns about  malicious activity, but fiascos like the NEST
thermostats stopping  in winter of 2015/2016 are more likely.