[time-nuts] More Noise Floor Nonsense

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Feb 10 23:20:24 UTC 2021

Hi,

So, a very simple additional test one can do is to insert a 6 dB damping
pad. That effectively reduces the amplitude and also slashed the
slew-rate in half. You can do that for both squarewave and sine with the
same result. Using that, one can get some idea of the noise on the input
as you get two different slew-rates it converts to noise, and then see
how much "inherent" noise the counter has. Test with yet another
amplitude/slew-rate and you can refine that estimate and validate it.

If you want to have fun, try different trigger directions etc. to see
how well calibrated the inputs are.

Cheers,
Magnus