[time-nuts] Mains Frequency

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:13:41 UTC 2021

The classic 70's LED clock used a 60Hz mains transformer and yes it was
easy enough to for the solid state electronics count pulses derived from
the low voltage secondary winding of the mains transformer. If your
appliances are from the 70's or 80's yes it is very likely the LED clock is
counting AC line frequency.

A vanishing small amount of consumer electronics in the past 10+ years uses
a mains transformer.. They will all be switching power supplies. This is
not just for cost savings, but to meet energy efficiency standards.

It is possible to get line frequency output from a switching power supply.
>From 1970-1990's it was fairly common for minicomputer switching supplies
to have a line clock output but I haven't seen this as part of the power
supply in industrial equipment for decades, and never in consumer equipment
switching supplies.

Tim N3QE