[time-nuts] Mains Frequency

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:23:54 UTC 2021

Why should the microcontroller have a crystal at all?
Many have factory trimmed RC oscillators, typical 1% accuracy, because
accurate timing for other than timekeeping is rarely needed.
A minute per month is 10ppm, typical of a bog standard crystal, and given
the choice of that or mains timing for a clock, I'd use the latter any day.

Re the power supply, they may use direct rectification from mains
nowadays.   Capacitive dropper and bridge with a few smoothing and surge
suppression components.
My 20+ year old  microwave doesn't though - that has a real small
transformer in it that audibly hums .

Andy
www.g4jnt.com