[time-nuts] The need for quartz crystals and mains frequency

Thomas D. Erb tde at electrictime.com
Sat Feb 13 16:27:12 UTC 2021

My firm has electrictime.com  - sold power station master clock as part of Telechron - now we just make big tower and street clocks.

We have a bunch of master clocks in our museum - two in our on-line exhibit - I'm hoping to get a small article in IEEE Spectrum. One master clock was made in an vacuum chamber with an invar pendulum.

My clocks are shown
https://electricclock.omeka.net/items/show/6
https://electricclock.omeka.net/items/show/12

Mark Frank has some restored units at

http://www.my-time-machines.net/master_clocks.ht

In the 1970's we made a cheap power station clock for some islands - it consisted of a synchronous wall clock next to a quartz battery power clock - the operator keep the synchronous clock in phase with the quart clock.

BTW the little red flag was a part of a patent fight - Telechron had a patent  on self-starting synchronous motor the non-self-starting clock companies got a law or regulation that a clock had to had a notification power had been off - they thought they had him - but he came up with a creative solution.

Thomas D. Erb
p:        508-359-4396
f:        508-359-4482
a:        97 West Street, Medfield, MA 02052 USA
e:         tde at electrictime.com
w:        www.electrictime.com
Tower & Street Clocks Since 1928