[time-nuts] Allan Deviation 68-95-99 rule

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Feb 13 21:30:14 UTC 2021

Hi Simon,

Yeah, I remember those days too. I learned this from the NBS/NIST line
of educational papers. The NIST TN 1337 is recommended reading. The Bill
Riley handbook is for sure a good read, even if it may not dwell very in
deeply into why things are the way they are.

A main issue I failed to cover good enough is that if you have one or
more sinusoidal disturbances, they survive through the derivations and
take over as being dominant, and then the assumptions for confidence
values is not valid.

Keep asking questions as you stumble onto mysteries. I'm sure we can
help answer them.

Cheers,
Magnus