[time-nuts] Mains Frequency

d.schuecker at avm.de d.schuecker at avm.de
Mon Feb 15 14:28:47 UTC 2021

The Berlin grid was isolated from '48 until begin of the '80s. Berlins
BEWAG was very proud of running a stable net on this island. They used a
big bunch of energy storage devices: steam under pressure, batteries etc.
to keep the frequency and phase stable. In begin/mid '80s they built a
380kV power line from West-Germany (Buschhaus) to Berlin crossing the GDR.
So Berlin was hooked to the west-european frequency.

After the fall of the wall they disconnected this line and hooked up to
then USSR driven east german grid. That was for commercial reason,
reportedly they saved a Million Marks a day. So Berlin had the same grid
frequency as Moscow, and many clocks on churches, towers, the city hall,
public clocks on poles etc. ran on that frequency. The USSR grid had a
much bigger limit on the phase, so the grid driven clocks sometimes lost
or won 15min a day, as far as I remember. Sometime in the '90 they
switched to the west-european grid for then reunified Germany.

There were similar developments for other european satellite states of the
USSR, i.e. Hungary. They had a long direct 750kV DC-connection, for a
great distance you use DC. In '92 I visited the DC/AC converter in
Budapest, installed in a rather big hall. It was cooled by de-ionized
water, which was so aggressive to get ions that they could not use any
metal for fittings but they had to use glass. In this big hall there was a
fairytale castle made of glass pipes, tubes, coolers etc., very
impressing.

In the old times :-|
Cheers
Detlef Schücker