[time-nuts] AN/URQ13 reference AT cut crystal?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Feb 17 22:34:33 UTC 2021

Hi

> On Feb 17, 2021, at 2:10 PM, Tim Shoppa <tshoppa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Magnus, were they trying to use the SC-cut crystal itself as a calorimeter,
> or something else?
>
> if using a crystal as a calorimeter (essentially self-temperature probe) to
> detect axions, they do not want the crystal cut for stability at operating
> temperature?
>
> You want to operate the crystal where it has the steepest possible
> temperature slope. I know dang little about the cuts and how they behave at
> cryogenic temperatures.
>
> Of course vast quantities of crystals are used in particle physics but not
> as oscillators :-). I remember literature from back in the 60's there was
> some interest in crystals used as oscillator calorimeters but that's a
> pretty obscure corner of calorimetry today if anyone is still trying it.
>
> We've had threads in the past on time-nuts about hysteresis in HP's
> crystal-based temperature probes. I guess in an axion calorimeter the
> hysteresis limits lower limit of detection.

…… and there are whole families of crystal cuts that have been optimized
for use as thermometers. There is no need to compromise on something
like an AT or SC if you are after temperature. There are lots of different
cuts to pick between.

You *do* run into the same issues as with OCXO crystals. The number of
cuts “known” is much larger than the number that are “production ready” ….

Bob