[time-nuts] AN/URQ13 reference AT cut crystal?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Feb 18 11:53:37 UTC 2021

--------
Bob kb8tq writes:

> Turning an “idea” into a production capable part involves making many
> batches of test samples. Think in the thousands of batches and hundreds
> of parts in each batch. You have a “search” process at the blank chopping
> level. You also have a search at the resonator fabrication level. Getting the
> chopping part right is only a small part of the whole process….

I realize this used to be a manual process, but today I would expect
that you could automate a lot, of not most of it, if you wanted to ?

It would still be a lot of work, and very expensive, but like
biochemist trying out hundred of thousand compounds from their
"libraries", robots really lower the cost.

The real question must therefore be, if anybody reasonably expects
there to be any superior "new" cuts to find in the first place ?

What properties would you program a quartz-crystal-prototyping robot to search for ?

Which parameter(s) of current crystal-cuts are "their weak point" ?