[time-nuts] AN/URQ13 reference AT cut crystal? ==> Crystal Robot

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Feb 18 14:57:24 UTC 2021

--------
Bob kb8tq writes:

> > What properties would you program a quartz-crystal-prototyping robot
> > to search for ?
>
> You very much want to (eventually) know about perturbations over
> temperature for a given resonator design at a specific frequency. That
> tends to be the 'gotcha' on a new cut. Running 100% of the production
> through a 150C sweep at 1C per minute is *not* going to make the
> production people (or the customer) happy.

Yes, but that's once you have found a promising cut.

I was asking:  What would a promising cut be in the first place ?

What properties could it have or be free from, that would make it
relevant, as opposed to join the the hundreds of already "parked"
cuts you mention ?

> More Q is always nice.
> Better ADEV never hurts
> Lower aging is popular
> Flat(er) temperature curves are attractive to an OCXO or TCXO designer

So you only see incremental improvements, there are no unfound
"philosophers stone" properties we think are there but havn't been
able to locate yet ?