[time-nuts] AN/URQ13 reference AT cut crystal? ==> Crystal Robot

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Feb 18 16:56:20 UTC 2021

Hi

One thing with quartz is that the acoustic Q gets better as
the frequency gets lower.  If a 5 MHz 5th overtone has a Q of
3M (say), A 1 MHz 5th *could* have a Q of 15M. That assumes
you fully scale the package to keep the blank at the same
relative size. It also assumes some other effect doesn’t come
along and mess with a simple approximation ….. (simple
approximations often fall victim to that sort of thing ….).
Often the package grows as you discover this or that.

The obvious issue here is that your ~ 22 mm diameter cold weld
package is now up around 100 to 150 mm. Nobody seems to want
to buy a part that big ….. Which isn’t quite true, sapphire resonators
(with a higher Q) do get sold.

In order to do an experiment, one would need to grow high quality
quartz bar 5X larger than what we have today. It grows at a
“some number of mm a month”. You go from a (maybe) 6 month
grow process to (maybe) 3 years. The whole autoclave is tied up
for that period. You would pay the same total $$$ for one bar or
a whole lot of bars. Tooling to accommodate the larger bars likely
would also get into the act.

Moving to 3 years is only a guess. The process has been “optimized”
to deliver good Q at 5 MHz and above. There is no guarantee that
this or that “speed” would be adequate for 15M Q. There is a lot of
evidence that slower is better. ( = if you use fast quartz in your 5 MHz
5th parts, their performance is poor ).

You would be chopping a lot of quartz to do all the work to come
up with a “production” ( = useful) design. Having more than one bar
probably *is* a good idea.

To the extent that Q and ADEV are related, one could expect other
useful specs to improve along with the Q. You also might find out
that for this size / precision  blank, 3 years is “to fast” to get good
ADEV …. how would you know that … hmmm .… run another autoclave
 .... (all that after you had tooled a giant cold weld package /process
machine /welder to do your testing in … yikes ….)

Fun !!

Bob