[time-nuts] Mains Frequency -again

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Feb 25 01:19:37 UTC 2021

> Perhaps one of the little openlog units from sparkfun, or one of the  clones
> would work for logging?

> https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13712

The problem with things like that for monitoring the power line is that you
want to keep collecting data while you analyze the data you have already
collected.  (They are great for things with a limited time run such as the
temperature on a mailed package or the elevation as you bike/ski up/down hills
for a day.)

Another problem is that they don't have an accurate clock.  If it has a spare
GPIO pin, you can use that to input time.

I'd use something like a Raspberry Pi, but that's partly because I'm familiar
with them.  I setup the data capture to switch to a new file each day.  ssh in
to set things up and/or poke around.  rsync or scp from a big PC to grab the
data.

An alternative is 2 of the sparkfun devices.  Feed the same data to both of
them.  Turn one off, grab the data from it, then turn it on again.  Later, do
the same with the other one.  You can use the data from one to align the 2
segments from the other across the gap.

Of course, once you get things going, you may need 2 PCs to cover the gap when
you reboot the single PC.  But that doesn't cover gaps from when the power
company goes out so maybe it's not worth the effort.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.