[time-nuts] U-blox teaser

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Feb 26 22:26:51 UTC 2021

Hi

I can’t think of many antennas (multi band or single band) that claim to know their
delay to < 5 ns. Simply having a *differential* delay spec of < 5 ns is quite good.
Same thing with delay ripple, you see specs out to around 15 ns on a lot of antennas.
None of this is getting you to the actual total delay of the antenna. It’s a pretty good
bet that number is a bit larger than either of these.

Some of the ripple probably comes out in the standard modeling. I’m not sure that
the differential delay is taken out that way. Total delay, not taken out in any obvious
fashion ( at least that I can see). If the F9 has a built in antenna database, that’s not
mentioned in the doc’s. Any benefit from the corrections would have to be part of
post processing.

No, that’s not the same as talking about the F9 it’s self doing X ns, but it would be part
of any practical system trying to get close to 5 ns absolute accuracy.

5 ns *relative* accuracy between two F9’s? I probably could buy that if the appropriate
one sigma / on a clear day / with the wind in the right direction sort of qualifiers are
attached.

Bob