[time-nuts] U-blox teaser

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Feb 27 22:15:42 UTC 2021

Dana,

 > During my Arecibo Observatory days we used NIST's TMAS service to keep
 > our H-maser-based station clock synced with UTC.

And before that, the observatory used Tom Clark's Oncore & SHOWTIME and
later Rick Hambly's CNS clock & Tac32Plus, yes?

Rick continues to develop the CNS clock, having switched from the
Motorola and iLotus receivers to u-blox T receivers. His papers are on
cnssys.com or gpstime.com. Check out a recent one like:

"High-accuracy Time and Frequency in VLBI "
https://www.cnssys.com/files/TOW/High-accuracy_Time_and_Frequency_in_VLBI_2019_sem.pdf

Bonus: lots of graphs and photos, masers, receivers, etc.

Main publication page: https://www.cnssys.com/publications.php

Check out the performance he's getting. This is with a 6T. That's not
dual-frequency or multi-constellation. Just plain old L1 GPS. It's way
better than +/- 20 ns. So I'm really confused by what you're saying
below. Did Arecibo get rid of the CNS clocks?

/tvb