[time-nuts] 20th year of time nuts mailing list

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Jan 3 12:52:56 UTC 2021

Fellow time-nuts,

In the end of the previous millennia I got involved in a handful of
email-lists pertaining to analog (musical) synthesizer and building of
these. I then ended up with the opportunity of buying some test-gear to
aid my endeavors on trimming the oscillators. It's a bit of a challenge,
since you have an exponential converter that transforms a 1 V/Oct
voltage over to a current linear with frequency, using NP-junction
properties. Then this current is used convert into a sawtooth or
triangular shape using a capacitor and a reset circuit, of which the
later has a fixed reset-time. A good expo-converter can span over 20
octaves. Trimming this to "track properly" and be temperature stable is
a challenge. So, I was able to acquire a pair of bench DMMs in form of
HP 3457A, a frequency counter in form of HP5335A and a R&S XSRM Rubidium
reference out of Ericsson as they closed one of their factories and also
calibration labs. Great. I also got a HP4195A network analyzer and
HP3325B function generator. Not a bad setup. However, I wanted to learn
more about oscillators. I was searching the net using AltaVista, found
the NIST T&F archive, I found variour other sources, learned that there
is a stability measure called Allan Deviation and phase-noise, and
started to read up a lot. I then also found this little quirky
email-list for people that really like time and frequency and being kind
of nuts, called time-nuts. You might have heard about them. I ended up
learning a lot quickly. In parallel at work I was working with jitter in
digital transmission and how that cause bit errors, synchronization and
how to build synchronization over the full network. I ended up joining
the IEEE UFFC, as this allowed me to get access to that library of articles.

Over time I have seen my lab outgrow the room it started in, I now lost
count of the number of rubidiums I have, I barely know how many cesiums
I have and the once unobtainium of a hydrogen maser obviously takes a
big part of the new lab and is fortunately easy to count so far (1).
Counter-wise I also got a rather sizeable collection, some of which I
have more for museum/reference purposes than anything I can meaningful
use. I can measure ADEV and phase-noise fairly well, to the level that I
was appaulled by the huge 10 ps spikes that the RS232 readout was
causing, and here I thought 10 ps resolution was unobtainable not that
far ago. I have presented at EFTF and IFCS, have a PTTI presentation to
finalize now. I know a whole range of the people behind the names of the
articles I read.

Over the years I learned a lot just hanging out on the list, and I have
hopefully contributed some. It's been an awesome journey. There is still
things to learn, and just reading the list is a great way to learn
things. Also at times, I find myself reminded rather than learning, but
that is important too.

Cheers,
Magnus