[time-nuts] x86 CPU Timekeeping and clock generation

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Jan 6 20:08:06 UTC 2021

Tom,

The RTC typically has a wristwatch type 32,768 kHz resonator. This is
independent to the oscillator setting bus and processor speed. They have
common factors in temperature and other environment, but nothing
steering them together.

You can have more independent oscillators, so things can drift away in
"interesting" ways. A fun exercise is to take timestamps of different
timestampers and locking one oscillators in reference to another. Then
one can follow the variations in frequency error in easy form. Otherwise
just plot the phase-difference and toss into TimeLab.

Cheers,
Magnus