[time-nuts] ISS NTP operation problems.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 8 15:58:13 UTC 2021

phk at phk.freebsd.dk said:
> If you path is not stable, or you flip between different servers with
> different delays and/or assymetries, your time will not be stable.

Ahh.  Thanks for the reminder.

There is a huff-puff filter, I think it's optional.  It assumes the physical
path is stable and that increases in the round trip time are due to queuing
delays which are typically asymmetric so it drops answers if the delay is
longer than previous samples.  I'd have to look at the code for the details.

But that doesn't match the crazy graph with the drift way off.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.