[time-nuts] ISS NTP operation problems.

William Dell william.dell at metecs.com
Fri Jan 8 22:31:45 UTC 2021

> Is this a new problem or has it being happening since day 1?

It's unclear how long it has been happening. The team responsible for
managing the NTP Server noticed irregularities with its ability to sync to
ground but we don't know how long it had been going on for. In an effort to
fix it the following changes were made to the ISS NTP Server:

tinker panic 0
tos maxdist 60
tinker step 0.256
tinker stepout 150
server <groundserver> iburst trust minpoll 4 maxpoll 5
peer <2ndISSNTPServer>

After these changes were made my team began noticing sync issues with our
NTP clients. We chased part of this down to high root dispersion from the
NTP server due to the tos maxdist 60 setting. Implementing that setting on
our NTP clients allowed them to sync with the ISS NTP server ~90% of the
time, attempting to chase down the final 10% is what brought me to Steve
(and now here).

With only 2 full days worth of packet captures in October and no data
before the server changes were made (or even what symptoms inspired the
changes -- only that they were noticing "sync issues" with ground), we're
left with the current graphs Steve has made from the captures. The hope is
to get more data on the ISS NTP server after another meeting with this team
in late January. Unfortunately in the meantime this is all we have (which I
know doesn't fully answer your question), sorry about that.

William Dell