[time-nuts] ISS NTP operation problems.

Bernd Neubig BNeubig at t-online.de
Sat Jan 9 08:30:41 UTC 2021

Björn,
you are correct. The link you have provided points to the actual and latest document of the Wassenaar Arrangement for so-called "Dual-Use" items.
This international agreement is transformed to National laws, which often include some amendments.
For the European Union it is  the COUNCIL REGULATION (EC) No 428/2009, which is regularly updated, latest on is the
COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION (EU) 2020/1749.

BTAW: For time-nuts  the chapter 3.A.1.b is interesting, which covers microwave and millimeter wave items.
Under sub-clause 3.A.1.b.10 limitations for phase noise of these items are defined as follows:

Oscillators or oscillator assemblies, specified to operate with a single sideband (SSB) phase noise, in
dBc/Hz, less (better) than -(126 + 20log10F – 20log10f) anywhere within the range of 10 Hz ≤ F≤ 10 kHz;
(F is the offset from the operating frequency in Hz and f is the operating frequency in MHz)

>From the technical viewpoint it does not make much sense to specify the phase noise limits with a slope of -20 dB/decade, while in practice (and theory) the slope close to carrier is -30 dBc/Hz.

Not too seldom, it is not recognized that this rule is limited to microwave and millimeter wave oscillators. As the document does not define where "microwave" begins, this rule is sometimes applied to crystal oscillators below 200 MHz- which to my opinion is wrong, as microwaves are starting above 1 GHz or so.

Regards
Bernd