[time-nuts] Negative leap second

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 10 13:35:12 UTC 2021

Hi

I think that the honest answer is that there are *always* systems that get tangled
when there is a leap second of any sort. If you dig back a bit on the list there are
number of posts talking about abolishing them because of the many difficulties
with handling them.

One of the reasons CDMA systems decided to simply run on “GPS TIme” is that
this allowed them to ignore leap seconds in the synthesis of their magic spreading
codes. It’s the biggest example I know of in terms of “ignore leap seconds”.

It’s safe to say that the first “test” of a negative leap second will likely turn up more
than the average number of issues …..

Bob