[time-nuts] Can a Trimble Thunderbolt cause QRM? Noise can be seen remotely via my SDR.

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Wed Jan 13 14:20:58 UTC 2021

Hello to those that replied off group.

 Tuesday, January 12, 2021

  Many thanks for the replies, Time Nuts always confuses my mail app and I have to check if replies are from an individual or via the reflector.

I eventually tracked the culprit down today. Getting on site and turning off all the power, and using a battery powered receiver saw no change. I was mortified. Nonetheless the stability and strength of the interference still had me believing it was very localized. It was then I started thinking of any battery powered source with a 10 or 20MHz reference in it. My race truck has a GPS tracker in it. It's internally battery powered when the ignition is off... I turned it on at the end of the season when the truck went into hibernation. I opened the truck and was reminded the tracker had a USB cable pig tail for connection to a PC for setting up attached and strung behind its hiding place. I removed the USB cable from the GPS unit (a quality make, not some Chinese clone)  and went back to the receiver in the house. The noise was gone!!! For kicks I reconnected the USB data cable and the noise was back again. So thanks for the suggestions, all these modern gizmos we surround ourselves with, it's no surprise many suffer huge noise levels! All the best and thanks again!

Best regards,
 Chris        mailto:chris at chriswilson.tv