[time-nuts] Long Wave Radio-Frequency standard testing

Gilles Clement clemgill at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 21:26:00 UTC 2021

Hi JF,
DCF77 is more distant, less powerful and probably more polluted (77kHz).
Anyhow I would probably not be able to measure better than 10e-11 with current setup (need a better reference)
Indeed a good and stable phase lock was not easy to reach.
I experienced the day and night huge differences (as documented in post) but nothing specific to phase shifts during sunrise or sunset.
No big difficulties with the ferrite antenna and the receiver design either (thanks to good stuff from the old radio days probably).
Found that magnetic field antenna (ie: ferrite) appeared much less sensitive to pollution than electric field antennas.
Naturally bad experience with Led bulbs and vapor gas lamps. You have to chase them all and change to old filament lamps in and around the lab. No issues with computers though.
What I found most challenging (and hence interesting) was the following :
- Temperature control, high resolution and high stability (Crystal oscillator but also for the controller parts, ADC, DAC… )
- PI loop stability (very tricky)
- Matching theory with practice (still work in progress…!)
- Understanding the logic and physics behind behaviors, the real root cause of problems,
and especially why a « really clever » enhancement - more than often - actually leads to… performance degradation...
Gilles.