[time-nuts] (no subject)

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:53:48 UTC 2021

Hello time-nuts,

Came across this poster of the CHOMPTT cubesat mission.
https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3494&context=smallsat

Obviously, they are doing measurements on a per orbit basis.  But if
you had an optical ground station and the clock difference information
(correction) you could calibrate your home clock.  Basically, this is
what we already do with GPS with CORS correction information to get
much better than 20ns accuracy.  One question that I have is the
uncertainty with optical paths lower than for GPS (RF)?  I suspect
maybe.

A system such as this might also provide an independent source of time
to GPS.  But don't we already have that with GLONASS, Beidou, and
Galileo?

Regards,
Skip Withrow