[time-nuts] Long Wave Radio-Frequency standard testing

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 19 21:27:35 UTC 2021

Hi

Assuming the goal is a normal ADEV or xDEV sort of calculation:

If you replace the raw phase values with zero that can mess things up

0 seconds +20 ns
1 seconds +22 ns
2 seconds +23 ns
3 seconds +25 ns
4 seconds +27ns
5 seconds +29 ns

If you “loose” one of those 20 to 30 ns values and replace it with zero, you have significantly
changed the data set.

Even if you are looking at deltas, zero stuffing would be problematic with that
(contrived) phase data set.

1 seconds +2
2 seconds +1
3 seconds +2
4 seconds +2
5 seconds +2

If the objective is something like a PLL then “hold at the last value” is the only practical
answer to the question. You don’t *have* the next value and you need to stuff something
into the control loop computation.

Bob