[time-nuts] "Q for dummies"

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Tue Jan 26 18:06:48 UTC 2021

I recall back in the late 60’s visiting some friends at BNL. One of them took me through the cryogenic lab. In one they had an LC running at near 0 and it could be heard in a receiver. We know for L, Q in its simplest form is Xl/R. At superconductor temperatures R approaches 0 and therefore Q approaches infinity. Consequently the circuit oscillated by itself. I was amazed. Slightly different, but in the same lab they showed me an electromagnet in a superconductor cooled environment. I noticed it was wound with uninsulated wire. I inquired about that and was told that contact resistance is so much higher than the superconductor resistance, and they could get more turns without insulation. Regards – Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS

89 Arnold Blvd.

Howell NJ 07731

848-245-9115