[time-nuts] Need Complete Service Maintenance Manual for HP Agilent 8593EM EMC Analyzer

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 26 22:01:03 UTC 2021

Hi

Based on repairing a couple of the same era analyzers ….

It’s a good bet that you have lots / blown the mixer diode in the front end. There
are various parts you can replace it with. It’s not brain surgery to do so on the models
I have played with ( which does not include the 8593 …).

The bad news on all of these beasts is that calibration was done on a now MIA
test setup. It did this and that with who knows what and somehow shot calibration
coefficients into somewhere on the analyzer. AFIK nobody knows how to do that.
Bottom line, you have an analyzer that doesn’t quite look right / work right.
Put another way, the “FULL” service manual does not exist / never did exist outside
HP.

For me that part wasn’t a big deal at the time. As the years rolled on, I did start
running into tests where knowing this or that level was correct to better than +/-
10 db mattered.

Am I sure it’s the diode in your case? Absolutely not !!! It’s just a guess.

Bob