[time-nuts] Re: LH "No usable sats"

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jul 7 14:13:14 UTC 2021

--------
Lux, Jim writes:

> GPS orbit inclination is 55 degrees. If you plot the ground track, it
> just touches 55N and 55S (i.e. there are times during the orbit when the
> satellite is directly overhead the latitude = inclination), so you'd
> have to be north (or south) of 55, to have an actual hole to the north.

I live at 55N and I very much have a "hole to the north":

	http://phk.freebsd.dk/raga/sneak/fig1.png

That also means I live in one of the two circles where the lattiude DOP
is worst on the entire planet :-/

North of this circle, one can pick up sats on the far side of
the hole.  South of it, the hole occupies a smaller angle of azimuth.