[time-nuts] Re: Symmetricom NTS-150 Network Time Server

Ben Hall kd5byb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 22:43:11 UTC 2021

On 7/8/2021 7:43 AM, Björn wrote:
> Symmetricom/Microsemi/Microchip has delivered NTP boxes with 12VDC antenna voltage only a few years ago.
> Looking at Antcom antennas most of them run on anything between 2.5 and 24V, iirc.

Good evening Björn and list,

After reading your post, I decided to check the high-quality antennas I have to see if they might be okay for 12 VDC use.

The first one is a PCTEL GPSL1-TMG-SPI-40N.  Looking at the data sheet, it says 3.3 to 9.0V (operating), <= 28.0V (survivability).  That suggests to me that it will tolerate up to 28 VDC for a short time, but not indefinately.  The second one is a Motorola GCNTM20A3A and says on the little part number sticker - 5V.  Looking at the data sheet, it says 5 +/- 0.25 VDC.

I can't see the model number sticker of my "mushroom" antenna as it's mounted high on the antenna pole, but I believe it to be Beitian BT-147 looking thru my ebay info and matching it to a current listing.  It's datasheet says it will accept 3.0 to 18 VDC.  I can't find the post in the time-nuts archive, but I do recall some folks having issues with similar antennas over 5 VDC.  I may give it a try if the unit doesn't want to acquire signals from the DC-blocked port on my splitter.

Thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb