[time-nuts] Re: Thunderbolts ...

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 19:38:26 UTC 2021

The LB uses a modern, third generation GPS module , Ublox 7 or 8 that has
the weak signal performance of its generation. Streets ahead of the old
Trimbles , Motorola and Garmins we used to love.
Here I use a passive patch antenna on mine in the shack and it stays
locked.

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 at 20:34, David G. McGaw <david.g.mcgaw at dartmouth.edu>
wrote:

> I have been using several versions of the UCCM units (Trimble,
> Symmetricom and Samsung) with mostly good results, both bare and
> packaged, as well as having several Thunderbolts.  The one thing that
> the Bodinar unit has which is nice is the synthesizer built in.  The
> Thunderbolts and UCCMs do not have this.  On the other hand, as has been
> said, the Bodinar unit has poor hold-over performance if you lose GPS
> lock, which here in NH amongst the trees and hills can happen fairly
> frequently.  As a result, I use OXCO GPSDOs with an external synthesizer.
>
> David N1HAC
>
> On 7/20/21 1:32 PM, N1BUG wrote:
> > Good question on the Leo Bodnar comparison. That's what I am using now
> > and I am sure it is good enough for my purposes but I really want
> > something I can use with LH and maybe the KO4BB Thunderbolt Monitor. I
> > also inquired about the Thunderbolts and hope there's enough supply
> > that I can grab one. I've been looking for a while but am hesitant on
> > eBay units.
> >
> > Paul N1BUG
> >

> > On 7/20/21 1:11 PM, Bob Darlington wrote:
> >> Same.  He probably got 250+ requests in short order.  I'm curious how
> >> the
> >> Leo Bodnar GPSDOs compare.   I'm considering one of these over a
> >> thunderbolt for field use for ham radio EME work.
> >>
> >> -Bob N3XKB

Andy (out keeping fit)