[time-nuts] Re: Thunderbolt "good performance" example

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jul 24 18:07:30 UTC 2021

Hi

The only thing I would add to that is that the drift due to the OCXO
*plus* the DAC *plus* the voltage reference shows up as 0.7 mV. If you
dig into it, much of this is due to the DAC + ref.

One possible “fix” on a low tune voltage OCXO would be a resistive
attenuator made up of a pair of good ( so $20 each …) resistors. Just
how much this would help …. you’d have to try it and see.

More or less:

If the OCXO tunes on frequency at 0.2V (as some do), put on something
in the 10:1 to 20:1 range. The DAC would not center up around 2V to
4V. The gain setting would need to be changed. LH has a very nice
tuning feature to measure this and reprogram the TBolt.

Bob