[time-nuts] Re: Antenna return loss

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:14:45 UTC 2021

Andy,

Good point, up to a point.  But even if the antenna's amplifier itself has
a good return
loss, cheap cables like RG-174 are pure garbage and could be doing just
about
anything along their length.  And if the bottom end connector is put on by
a person
without training and the correct tooling, very bad things can happen there,
too.

Complicating the situation is the mismatch likely to occur when one tries
to power
said antenna through a bias tee or whatever.  Fortunately, if the right
kind of splitter
is used, such mismatches will occur in a "safe" location (downstream of the
splitter).

Nothing's ever simple ...

Dana