[time-nuts] GPS Splitter for L1, GNSS, etc?

W7SLS w7sls.scott at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 04:20:53 UTC 2021

Hello,

Looking for group wisdom to avoid newbie mistakes with a GPS splitter.

For context, I’m a home- not National- or University-Lab.
That said, I have a non-zero budget.

Today:
 	Antenna
	1- CORS RTK GNSS Survey Antenna high gain measurement GNSS GPS GLONASS BDS <https://www.ebay.com/itm/253786590956>
	2 - patch antenna - works really well with Time Hat, even a few meters way from window

	Splitter
	1 - Symmetricom 58536A

	Devices
	1 - Auction Site GPSDO
	2 - Leo Bodnar GPSDO
	3 - Time Hat <— wow!  a fan!
	4 - (on the way) 2nd Time Hat

	Site
	- suburban, forest to the S, hill to the N

Challenge:

	Existing  splitter is L1 only (I think), which blocks the many newer GPS satellites.
	With my compromised (for GPS) location, that’s not so good.

I need / want a wider band GPS Splitter

	1 - some posts talk about removing the bandpass filters in an existing splitter
		OK, but (a) it nukes any value of that splitter, and (b) those filters also eliminate other interference (yes?)

	2 - new choices seem to be in the $1000 and way above, outside of my budget

	3 - more interested in ‘ready to use’ than ‘have to add on bypasses' to power the antenna (e.g., Cable TV splitter)

	3 - auction site has numerous options, but I’m not sure how to 'separate wheat from chaff’

		LOL, some of you may be the sellers :)

		several items $500+  <— more than I want to spend
		several items $30 -   <— I’d rather not get  aTV antenna splitter and a hobby to make it work

		324575653743  GPS Source S14 $175

		153359161105  GPS Antenna Splitter GPS/GLONASS L1 GALILEO E1 BEIDOU B1- FedEx Fast Ship SV1AFN $120

Thoughts?   Thanks for the group bandwidth.

Scott W7SLS

PS:  yes the Symmetricom 58536A will be for sale after I replace it.